UNIVERSITY NAMES BRUENING TO NEW POST AT LITTAUER

Given Permanent Chair in Graduate School of Public Administration by New Grant

The position of Lucius N. Littauer Professor of Government in the Graduate School of Public Administration was awarded to Dr. Heinrich Bruening, Godkin Lecturer, the University announced today.

Dr. Bruening, former Chancellor of the German Republic (1930-35), has been for the past two academic years lecturer on Government during the first half of the year, and lecturer at Oxford University, England during the second half. While at Harvard he conducted a seminar on "Government Regulation of Industry; Some Post-War Experiments in European Industrial Control."

In his new position as Littauer Professor, effective next September, Dr. Bruening will also conduct courses under the faculty of Arts and Sciences, open to all students qualified for graduate study.

Has Led Busy Life

Born in 1895, in Muenster, Westphalia, he was educated at the Universities of Munich, Strassburg, Muenster, and Bonn, receiving a Doctor of Economics degree from Bonn in 1915. From 1915 to 1918 he was on the Western Front as an officer in the German Army. As a member of the Centrist party, he was elected to the Reichstag for the first time in 1924, and in 1929 became head of his party in the Reichstag.