Large Crows Sees Freshmen Win Laurels in Boxing Final

Early, Chatfield, Passonneau, Burr, Parker, Kelly, Green, Cuttis Win

The Freshmen pummelled their way to victory last night in the final rounds of the University boxing tournament at the Indoor Athletic Building before an oager audience of over 300. Although there were no knockouts, each bout was packed with plenty of dynamite.

Alex Early 11, started off the final bouts by gaining a decision over Freeman Koo '42 in the 115 pound class. Koo, in spite of the fact that he had five years less experience than his opponent, put up a tough scrap.

125 and 135 Pounds

By virtue of clever heads-up battling and straight punches that connected, Paul Chatfield '39 won the 125 pound title over Bill Saunders '39 on a decision. Joe Passonneau '42 emerged victorious in the 135 pound division by pounding steadily into Horace Bresjer '41.

In one of the most evenly matched bouts of the evening John Parker '41 edged out Bob Dwan '42 in the 145 pound group. Ted Kahn '40 of the 155 pounders lost a close one to Hank Kelley '40.

Bobby Green '39 pounded his way to victory in the 165 pound class over Charlie By Autromont '40 in a match that proved to be the high-light of the tournament. Eben Cobb '41 of the 175 pounders barely outpointed Tucky Barr '39.

Jimmy Grunig '42 put up a good fight but Charley Curtis '42 came through the victor in the unlimited class as he pounded his opponent at close range.

Semi-Finals

In the semi-finals Joe Passonneau defeated Dave Simboli '40 in the 135 pound class to move up to the finals. Horace Bresler won by default over Jack bragg who injured his finger. Bob Dwan nosed out Nelson Hardenberg '40 in the 145 pound group to move up to the finals. Frank Neal '41 lost to Johnnie Parker to put him out of the 145 pound division. Henry Kelly '40 won his decision over Irving Schitt 1G, sending him up to the final bout of the 155 pound class. Chet McLaughlin '41 lost to Ted Kahn, who advanced to the finals to face Kelly.

In a second round default Charlie D'Autremont won over Bill Stedman '41 of the 165 pounders to face Bobby Green in the finals who defeated Doug McLeod '39. Nick Mellon '39 in the 175 pound class lost a decision to Eb Cobb who then advanced to the finals to face Tucky Burr. The latter then shaded Paul Fields 1GB.