1200 SEE 'CRISIS' AT PEACE MEETING

Czeeh Refugee Student Warns America Must "Learn Her Lesson" at Meeting Backed by H.S.U.

Twelve hundred people jammed University Theatre yesterday morning to see a special showing of the Czechoslovakian film, "Crisis," at an H.S.U. sponsored peace demonstration.

Resolutions were passed by large majorities supporting President Roosevelt's peace message to Italy and Germany, and backing the Thomas Amendment to the Neutrality Act. Several hundred signatures were obtained on a giant postcard which has been sent to Key Pittman, chairman of the Senate Foreign Affairs Committee, as a token of backing for the Thomas Amendment.

Deutsch Speaks

Karl Deutsch, former Czechoslovakian student and holder of Harvard's first refugee scholarship, warned the gathering of Harvard and Radcliffe students that America faces the same threat that has overwhelmed his home land.

"The United States must learn her lesson," he said. He pointed out the widespread movement for the restoration of Czechoslovakia, of which Eduard Benes, former president of the republic who spoke in Boston Wednesday night, is the leader.

James S. Lanigan '40, stressed the fact that "aggression anywhere in the world is a threat to the peace of the United States," and claimed that the co-existence of a fascist Europe and a democratic America is a virtual impossibility.

The Student Union representative urged unilateral action by the United States to halt the march of fascism.

Faculty sponsors were David Prall, professor of Philosophy; Payson Wild, Jr., assistant professor of Government; William H. Cary, assistant Dean; William Y. Elliott, professor of Government; and Zechariah Chafee, Langdell Professor of Law.

Undergraduates backing the rally were: William N. Chambers '39, Frank Davidson '39; Langdon B. Gilkey '39; Enno Hobbing '40; Ward MacL. Hussey '40; Torbert Macdonald '40; Langdon P. Marvin, Jr., '41; Raymond Mildenberger '40; John Stillman '40; Richard Sullivan '39; and James Tobin '39.