ALUMNI ENDORSE LATIN-AMERICAN SCHOLARSHIP FUND

Undergraduate Awards of Two-Year Trial Scholarships Recommended by Committee

Latin-American scholarships at Harvard have come within the range of immediate possibility through direct aid from Alumni, the student promotion committee announced today.

The undergraduate group which aims to establish a Rhodes system of national scholarships here for students from American Republics said that the Associated Harvard Clubs will appoint a committee to raise funds for the proposal.

Aid Pledged

Speaking before the Club's forty-second annual convention in New Orleans last Saturday, the student chairman, Ralph H. Cutler, Jr. '40 found enthusiastic support and received pledges of financial assistance for the proposal which aims to promote peace and solidarity among Western nations.

At the Alumni gathering the committee urged the establishment of four or five scholarships for a trial period of two years, after which time, if successful, the project might be continued indefinitely through the efforts of a permanent Alumni committee.

To Be Undergraduates

Strongly supported was the student contention that the national awards should go to undergraduates in their last two years of College training. It was argued that only in this way could the Latin-Americans brought to Harvard act as unofficial ambassadors of good will in their respective countries.

John J. Rowe '06, newly elected head of the Associated Harvard Clubs, told the committee that he would appoint the Alumni sponsors as soon as possible and that he was confident the campaign would be a success.

At the same time the committee announced several members of the Senate Foreign Affairs Committee had backed the scholarship proposal.