1942 Batters Flash More Power Than Any Yardling Nine Has for Three Years

Clay, Buckley, Rice Stand Out On Samborski Squad Which Boasts 13 Wins

With the 1928 June graduation about to wreak havoc in the ranks of Harvard's sturdy baseball standard bearers of the last three seasons, along comes one of the most powerful Yardling nines in years to lighten the toll of graduation wreckage. Thirteen wins in fifteen starts is their record!

Not since Captain Art Johns led the 1936 Crimson yearling nine undefeated through a 21 game schedule has Harvard seen such a powerful team as the present one. St. Marks was the most recent fee to feel the Yardling power 17 to 5 was the score, with nine runs coming in the big first boning.

Lou Clay

To Lou Clay and his world of stuff coupled with unerring control goes much of the credit for the team's success. Coach Samborski feels that Clay will bolster the Varsity mound staff next year considerably. Clay gets tougher than over when men are on the bases. He left over a dozen Andoverites stranded on the sacks when the Crimson toppled the Academy boys from the ranks of the undefeated 5 to 2.

Bill Parsons is the regular backstop and another main cog in the Samborski nine. One of the two setbacks the Yardlings received came with Parsons and Ed Buckley absent from the lineup for a spring football game. Buckley holds down first base and bats in the cleanup spot. Soft-spoken Gil Whittemore is a dependable hot-corner custodian and little Jim Lynch from Bolmont High is on second. Bud Finegan is the regular shortstop.

With the Varsity infield sadly depleted next spring, all of these boys have a chance to step into first-string jobs. Whittemore and Buckley are almost certainties. Ranking infield reserves are Bill Hauasermann and Al Krauts.

Captain Mike Rice

Fleet ham, and Ben Whitehill are the other boys who cavert in the outer gardens.

Lou Clay is the best hurler on the squad but there are two other good ones. Al Pitchford, doubling between the outfield and the mound, and southpaw Jack Sullivan are second stringers only because of Clay's unusual ability.