Harvard Students Picket for Yellow Cab Drivers In Struggle for $15 Week

Student Union Helps Strikers As Dunlevy Pleads Cause Of $12.60 Workers

Mass picketing by students of Harvard, Radcliffe, and Wellesley took place in Harvard Square yesterday for the striking drivers of the Yellow Cab Company on the eve of today's meeting of the State Arbitration Board investigating the labor dispute.

Local 381 of the Taxicab Drivers of America struck a week ago last Friday against the Yellow Cab Company in order to get "a family wage of a mere $15 for a 10 hour day." The Union under President Stephen A. Dunlevy charges that President Magann of the taxi company makes enough profit out of the company after paying his 90 drivers $12.60 a week to run a stable of racing horses.

Seventy-two of the 90 men are now on strike and Dunlevy yesterday made "an appeal to the Harvard faculty who make up most of the telephone patronage of the Yellow Cab Company."

"A good many of the faculty men have assisted and a large group of students have taken an active part in picketing. Particularly during the commencement season Harvard men are urged to boycott the Yellow Cab if the demands are not met by that time," Dunlevy stated.

"The cab company is an economic dependency of Harvard just like all the other business in the Square. Any boycott by the faculty and students is a blow to the company and an aid to the drivers in the fight for a living wage."

Business Low

The picket committee claims that the company's business has fallen off by 90 per cent since the strike began, and they hope that it will not be necessary to stay out on strike during the lucrative commencement week.

The Labor Committee of the Student Union has taken an active part in the arrangements for the picket line, and raising money for the strikers.