Donor Dedicates Littauer School to Training Leaders

Littauer, Conant, and Saltonstall Speak at Ceremony in New Building

"Our ultimate faith is in education. Let us dedicate this Littauer Center, housing Harvard's Graduate School of Public Administration, to the education of men of character, as wise leaders of a free people," Lucius N. Littauer '78 said yesterday at the dedication of Harvard's newest graduate school, which his gift made possible.

Harvard big-wigs crowded the auditorium of the four-story building to hear addresses by President Conant, Dean Williams, Charles Francis Adams '88, president of the Board of Overseers, Governor Leverett Saltonstall '14, Albert F. Bigelow '03, and Littauer himself, who just a year ago laid the cornerstone in a driving rain.

Governor Praises School

Stressing the complexity of modern government administration, Governor Saltonstall said of the School, "Through its courses, through the circle of its teachers and advisers, and through the research it encourages, it will contribute immeasurably toward a more expert and business-like management of the nation's affairs."

Attending the ceremonies were the two top-ranking bodies of Harvard's hierarchy, the Corporation and the Board of Overseers. The latter group is at Harvard for the annual two-day spring meeting, which winds up today after addresses by five members of the University Faculty.