14 CRIMSON TRACK MEN TO GO ABROAD

FOURTEENTH MEET

Fourteen Harvard chulermen and eight Elis will fall from New York on Saturday, July 1, to meet a combined Oxford - Cambridge track squad two weeks later in the fourteenth of a series of meets that began in 1889.

After a week of training at Cambridge, the Crimson-Blue forces will go to White City, near London, to clash with the English team on July 15. The British outfit will be out to make it three in a row over the Yale-Harvard combine, which tasted victory last in the summer of 1932.

In the total series, however, Harvard and Yale hold a slight edge, with seven victories to the Britishers' six. The longest string of wins in the series was scored by the Harvard and Yales when they won three straight in 1929, 1931, and 1933.

Run Three-Mile Race

Little is known about the strength of the British outfit, except that it beasts a capable three-miler (over there they leave two-mile races to schoolboys), and a very hot quarter-miler in the former of Pennington, British Olympic 220 ace. The Oxford-Cambridge outfit is also fairly strong in the hurdle department.

With the exception of the substitution of a three-mile for a two-mile run, the track events in the meet will not differ from American distance. The field events, however, will be pared down to broad jump, high jump, pole vault, and shot put, criminating the discus, hammer and javelin thrown.

Practice in Stadium

Before sailing, the Harvard contingent will take up residence at the Business School and practice daily in the Stadium.

Harvard men making the trip are: Charley Smith and Bob Gammons in the 100; Torby Macdonald in the 220; Jim Lightbody and Franny King in the 440; Al Hanlon in the half mile; Ros Brayton in the mile; Gene Clark in the two-mile; Don Donahue in the high and low hurdles, and Roger Schafer in the lows; Captain Bob Haydock in the high jump; Bob Partlow in the broad jump; Fred MacIsaan in the vault; and George Drowning and Howle Mendel in the shot put.

Donahue is the only man on the squad competing in two events. Lightbody, Haydock and Downing all competed in the 1937 meet.

Accompanying the squad will be Crimson Coach Jaakko Mikkoia, Yale mentor Frank Kanaly, William J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics, and Malcom Farmer, Director of Athletics at Yale. Roger Hooper '39, manager of the Crimson track team will precede the squad to England.