The Calendar

September 1, Friday

Before this date information blanks should be returned to the Chairman of the Board of Freshman Advisers, University Hall 9.

September 15, Friday

9 a.m.: Rooms in dormitories ready for occupancy.

September 22, Friday

10 a.m.--5 p.m.: Registration in Memorial Hall. Penalties for late registration.

10 a.m.--1 p.m.: Examination for examination from English A, New Lecture Hall. Now freshmen who did not take the College Board examination in English given in June, 1939, and these who did take it and received a grade of less than 595 but not less than 560 are eligible to take the examination for exemption from English A.

3 p.m.: Freshman football practice.

6:30 p.m.: Buffet supper at Harvard Union. All Union activities are open equally to the Freshmen living in the dormitories and those living at home.

7:30 p.m.: Reception for all new students in the large Dining Hall of the Harvard Union. President James Bryant Conant will preside. Speakers: Mr. Archibald MacLeish, Librarian of Congress; the Reverand Willard Learoyd Sperry, Chairman of the Board of Preachers; and Dr. Richard M. Gummers, Chairman of the Committee on Admission.

September 23, Saturday

8:45 a.m.: service in the University Memorial Chapel, conducted by the Reverend Learoyd Sperry, Chairman of the Board of Preachers.

9 a.m.: Meeting of new students in New Lecture Hall. Various matters concerning the choice of studies will be discussed. Attendance required. Speakers: Professor A. C. Hanford, Dean of Harvard College; Mr. Keyes DeWitt Metealf, Director of the University Library; and Mr. Delmar Leighton, Dean of Freshmen.

10 a.m.: Appointments for conferences with Faculty Advisors. Each Freshman is expected to report to his Advisor at this hour with the study card which he received in his registration envelope. This card properly filled out and signed by the Advisor should be handed in as soon as ready at University Hall 4. A fine of $5 is charged after 5 p.m. on Monday, September 25. Provisionally classified students may file their cards not later than 5 p.m. on Tuesday, September 26.

12--1:30 p.m.: Registration period for Widener Library tours, Harvard Union, Tours will be conducted on Saturday afternoon, September 23, and on Monday, September 25, and Tuesday, September 26. The purpose of these tours is to introduce the new students to the Harvard Library. The tours will take approximately fifty minutes each.

2--4 p.m.: Examinations in Reading French and Reading German, New Lecture Hall (see statement on first page).

6:30--7 p.m.: Registration period on Widener Library tours, Harvard Union.

8 p.m.: Meeting of new students in the Large Dining Hall of the Harvard Union. Speakers: William J. Bingham, Director of Athletics; Kendric N. Marshall, Secretary of the Union; and others.

September 24, Sunday

11 a.m.: Special service new students in the University Memorial Chapel. The Reverend Willard Learoyd Sperry will preach.

12--1:30 p.m.: Registration period for Widener Library tours, Harvard Union.

4 p.m.: Open House for Freshman, Phillips Brooks House. Refreshments:

5:30--7 p.m.: Registration period for Widener Library tours, Harvard Union.

September 25, Monday

8:30 a.m.--2:00 p.m., First term bill of $110 payable at Harvard Trust Company, Harvard Square.

8:45--9 a.m.: Daily service in University Memorial Chapel.

11 a.m.--1 p.m.; 2 p.m.--4 p.m.: Conferences with Faculty Advisers.

11 a.m.: Preliminary meeting of English 1 for new Freshmen, Emerson 211.

1--4 p.m.: Scholastic Aptitude Test, Emerson Hall. Required for these new students who have not already taken the Scholastic Aptitude Test of the College Entrances Examination Board, Place to be announced later.

4 p.m.: Preliminary meeting of English A, New Lecture Hall.

4--5 p.m.: Latest hour for fling new Freshman study cards without $5 fine.

7:30 p.m.: Annual Reception of Phillips Brooks House Association, Phillips Brooks House. Speakers: leaders of various undergraduate extra-curricular activities. Music and refreshments.

September 26, Tuesday

8:45--9 a.m.: Daily chapel.

9--10 a.m.: Reading Tests. Place to be announced later. Attendance required.

12 m.: Preliminary meeting of German A, New Lecture Hall.

2 p.m.: Physical Training and Department of Hygiene announcements, Now Lecture Hall. Attendance of all now Freshmen required:

3 p.m.: Preliminary meeting of German D. Place to be announced later.

4 p.m.: Preliminary meeting of French E, New Lecture Hall.

September 27--28

Wednesday and Thursday

First regular meetings of all courses under the Faculty of Arts and Sciences are held on those days at the hours and places indicated in a notice given to students at registration

September 24, Sunday

September 25, Monday

September 26, Tuesday

8:45--9 a.m.: Daily chapel.

September 27--28

Wednesday and Thursday