DRIZZLE FAILS TO SLOW UP GRIDDERS

Ends Continue to Improve Evenly and Coaches Stumped in Choosing Two From Six Aspirants

By Sheffield West

It was a drizzly but far from dreary practice at Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon, as the A and B elevens run through one of the most successful scrimmages this year. Both teams scored once.

Captain Torbie Macdonald was again the offensive star of the day, but he was forced to share the honors with his up and coming Sophomore understudy, Ed Buckley. Torble scored for the A team on a brilliant fifty yard run; Buckley tossed to a classmate, Greely Summers, for the B team's tally.

Buckley Runs Well

With the A team placed on the defense most of the afternoon on Dick Harlow's orders, Buckley was given ample opportunity to show his wares on the offense; and the sturdy Minnesota boy, a reserve back on last year's Freshman eleven, carried into the A team secondary on numerous occasions.

Although two of the red jerseyed ends, Gene Lovett and Joe Koufman, were out of action, the ends continued to improve. Originally the problem was to find two game-worthy ends; the problem now is to choose between a number of evenly-matched end candidates.

Six Ends Even

In yesterday's scrimmage George Downing and Jim Devine teamed on the A team, while Henry Vander Eb and Bartow Kelly were stationed on the B flanks. The return of Lovett and Koufman tomorrow will mean that Dick Harlow will have six ends, all im- proving daily, all potentially good, and none with any degree of experience.

Others who were absent or kept out of the scrimmage were Don Lowry who had a cold, Loren McKinney who is recovering from a slight injury, and George Heiden and Fran Lee who wee engaged in academic complications