THIRTEEN CINDERMEN TO COMPETE IN V.F.W. MEET

Tracksters Not in Top Shape for First Competition of Year; Workout Every Day

By Paul I. Carp

Thirteen men will enter the Veterans of Foreign Wars track and field meet at the Boston Garden Saturday night. The first track competition of the year, the performance of the Mikkolamen at this meet will give some idea of what may be expected of the depleted squad this season. Naturally, none of the men are near top shape yet. Up to Christmas practice was restricted to four days a week; only since the beginning of the year have daily workouts been the order--with liberal rest offered boys who are recuperating from illnesses.

Coach Mikkola has entered Douglas Pirnie '43, Donald Forte '43, and Thomas R. Goethals '43 in the dash, Hobart A. Lerner '42, Franklin B. McKechnie '42, and Ray W. Guild, Jr. '43 in the 600-yard run, Robert B. Houghton '42 in the mile, Stephen L. Madey '40 and T. Mitchell Ford '43 in the pole vault, Robert B. Partlow, Jr. '41 and John P. Bunker '42 in the high jump, and Donald A. Donahue '41 and J. Donald MacKinnon, Jr. '43 in the high hurdles.

Alumni Offer Prizes

William F. Garcelon, Law School '95, a prominent Boston attorney and onetime Harvard low hurdler and graduate treasurer of Athletics, chief speaker at the Annual Track meeting, recently stressed the necessity of striving for the impossible little extra improvement that Jaakko calls "spirit" and on which the success of this year's season is going to revolve. The coach interested some of the "old fellows" in the "amateur problem" so that three prizes of "useful articles" will be awarded this year to the Varsity men and Freshmen showing the most improvement.