Strong Grapplers Beat Cadets To Rank as Top Eastern Team

Illman and Welles Thrill Crowd In Close Struggle Lasting Nearly Full Limit

By William W. Tyng

With a 21 to 11 victory over the Army grapplers, the Crimson matmen have definitely established themselves in the top ranks of Eastern wrestling teams. Three pins and two decisions told the story for the victors, while all losing matches were close.

The most colorful match of the afternoon from the spectator point of view was the bout between Pete Illman and Cadet Welles in the 155 pound class. In a tight battle that lasted very nearly the entire nine minutes, Pete Illman finally succumbed to Welles' power and was pinned in 8:07. Illman, who has never been pinned before in his entire Varsity wrestling career (he is a Senior), was handicapped by an injured wrist and by the fact he was wreatling the best Army man.

Jim Redmon at 121 landed the surprise package of the meet when he floored Windsor of Army in five minutes. It was a brilliant bit of wrestling that put Sophomore Redmon in the running with the more experienced Varsity men. It is his third fall of the season. Tom Lacey registered another fall for the Crimson by flattening Hinkle in 1:38, which is the quickest pin this season.

Another brilliant match in the 128 pound class saw Ted Schoenberg pull his match out of the fire by pinning his man with his favorite three-quarter Nelson after about five minutes of wrestling. It happened so fast his opponent barely knew what happened. Captain Bill Daughaday and Dick Thomas were both decidedly predominant in their matches, particularly the former, but neither of them were able to catch their cautions opponents off guard and take them any more than by decisions.

Stone and Longcope Lose

Suffering mainly from a lack of confidence. Ray Stone lost a fairly close decision to his Soldier Boy opponent. Harvard had won the meet before Duncan Longcope's final match. so he was not in the best psychological position to win a close fight. After a hard match against a stronger and heavier rival, he dropped a decision to the Cadets.

The next Varsity contest will be fought at Princeton on February 10th Last year the match was one of the closest of the season.

A definitely interior Freshman wrestling out fit dropped a decisive 23 to 15 decision to the East Providence High School. Harvey, Bailey, and Dwyer registered the Harvard points with a fall apiece.