HARVARD MEN BECOME STREAMLINED; GIRL AMAZONS APPEAR AT WELLESLEY

Anthropologist Seltzer Reports New Physical Developments

Figures released yesterday by Carl C. Seltzer, research associate in Anthropology, definitely establish the fact that Harvard men are developing more streamlined physiques.

"A tendency toward linearity" was the scientific way that Dr. Seltzer put it. Translated from statistics, this means that the trend of college students has been away form the stocky, muscular, boney build of the football player, narrow-hipped physique of the ideal Harvard gentleman.

This is probably one good reason why Harvard football teams, which demand a power-house build, have been so much less successful than the famed crews, which recruit taller and more supple athletes, Dr. Seltzer conjectured.

Weight Increases

Studies made of fathers and sons who have both gone through Harvard show that there has been an average gain in height of 3.5 centimeters and in weight of over ten pounds. With respect to the torso much greater gains in length were registered by the abdomen than by the chest, Dr. Seltzer stated. Although greater appreciation of the art of eating might be suspected as an explanation for this phenomenon, Dr. Seltzer was unwilling to hazard an analysis.

It is an extraordinary fact that stature in various racial stocks, which has remained almost unchanged since post-paleolithic days, has suddenly begun remarkable developments in a number of directions. Dr. Seltzer advanced the theory that the Industrial Revolution, providing speedier transportation facilities, has been in part responsible for intermingling of stocks and a consequent "hybrid vigor."

Hips Smaller

Are college girls becoming Amazons? If the answer to this question can be found in hip measurements, then the males of the species will soon become merely a number of harassed "Lil Abners in a female-dominated world. For the hips are smaller, and the girls are larger in the current generation at Wellesley, Vassar, and Smith, than in previous years.

Dr. Seltzer has found no evidence from the studies made at Harvard that heights are declining, as Dr. Mills who finds warm weather responsible for stature degeneration has held.