ENTER INTER-INTRAMURAL

Now that the emotional debris of the Yale weekend has been swept away, one fact remains above the others as of perhaps the most lasting significance. That is the extraordinary rise of Harvard-Yale intramural competition during the past few-years. In 1933 the first annual intramural tackle championship game was fought with Yale. This proved so successful that several colleges made it a practice to challenge rival Houses, irrespective of their standing in the series. This year, for the first time, all seven Houses played Yale games; one in the regular championship series, and the others in the fast-becoming-traditional rivalries. Even touch football had its share of competition, as two full squads also played at New Haven.

This, aside from the Varsity, Junior Varsity, and Freshman games, nine Yale battles were staged this year, and an estimated total of nearly two hundred men, not eligible for first teams were able to experience the fun of Harvard-Yale conflict and the spree that goes with it. These games proved not only pleasant affairs in themselves, but also a definite pace-quickener for the whole season.

Since the communication of the challenges a few weeks ago, when it was announced that all squad members were included in the invitation, the enthusiasm for House football noticeably increased, particularly in the weaker squads. The Houses are already planning to reciprocate by inviting their Eli rivals up here next year, so it looks as if the incentive of Yale conflict is here for good.

In view of the current complaints of professionalism in big-time football, and of the machine-like drill it demands, it is refreshing to note that intercollegiate football can be played on a definitely small time basis and purely for its own sake, without the paraphernalia of publicity. And if the introduction of extensive intramural competition with Yale has done much to increase the success of House football, this might well be further extended in the other House sports.