Faculty Defense Group Urges FDR Accelerate Country's Production

Haste Necessary To Aid Britain; Insure Defense

Urging all possible acceleration of production in this country, a letter was sent to President Roosevelt yesterday by American Defense, Harvard Group.

The letter, signed by all of the officers, counsellors, and committee chairmen of the group, advocates drastic action, "if this country is to equip itself adequately, and at the same time bring prompt and effective aid to those who are bearing the shock of aggression."

It appeals directly to the President "for vigorous leadership of our defense at this period, when too many of our countrymen fail to realize the increasing menace to Britain, and thereby to us."

Crisis Grows Graver

"We unanimously urge," the letter continues, "the necessity of a clear recognition that the emergency grows more rather than less grave as the days pass. We urge that all appropriate measures be taken to advance the defense program, and increase the production of vital supplies.

"We urge that, in pursuance of our accepted policy of non-belligerent aid to Britain, all possible steps be taken to insure successful British aid and naval resistance."

Explaining the necessity of this acceleration of production, the letter points out that despite Britain's recent successes in Albania and Egypt, her position still remains critical. "Bombings and submarine attacks are taking a steady tell of British resources," it states, "and Germany's military might cannot be withstood without a greatly increased output of planes, shipping, and supplies in this country."

United Effort Needed

Contending that "the British Isles remain the Chief center of resistance to the forces which also threaten American security," the message advocates "the maximum effort of a United America."

The letter was signed by over thirty prominent professors. Among these are Ralph Barton Perry, Edgar Pierce Professor of Philosophy and chairman of the Group, James M. Landis, Dean of the Faculty of Law, and Arthur M. Schlesinger, Francis Lee Higginson Professor of History.

Other well-known signers are Richard M. Gummere, Chairman of the Committee on Admissions, Delmar Leighton '17, Dean of Freshmen, and Crane Brinton '16, Associate Professor of History.