Crimson Swimmers Capture Awards in Annual Carnival

Wellesley Mermaids Perform In Novelty Event; Drucker, White Win Crowns

There were thrills and laughs aplenty in the pool Saturday night for a large crowd watching the competition for two New England A. A. U. Senior Championships and two State titles in addition to the appearance of the famed 12-girl Wellesley College Water Ballet.

State title competitions were dominated by the members of the Crimson Varsity and Freshman swimming squads as Bob White carried off the gruelling 300-yard individual medley event, and Bill Drucker won the 150-yard backstroke in a neat 1:45.5. Frannie Powers actually beat his teammate, Bob White; in the medley by a touch but has disqualified for using an improper leg kick.

Kelley Wins Dive

In the A. A. U. contests, Bernard Kelley won the high board diving crown (not defended by Rusty Greenhood) with Shaw McCutcheon, George Dana, and Chet Sagenkahn right on his hoels. Yardling McCutcheon did 103.8 in his first official high board appearance.

Art Bosworth ripped off his second consecutive victory in the competition for the Stevens backstroke trophy (100 yard race with a flying start) in 1:01.4. One more triumph gives him permanent possession of the award.

The Wellesley Water Ballet group put on a fancy aquatic display, while the House pajama relay provided the comedy element. There were also several races for sons of Harvard faculty.

Yardlings Win

The undefeated Yardling swimming team piled up 76 points to Brookline High's 28 and Huntington School's 27 in the Indoor Athletic Building pool Saturday afternoon. The Crimson first-year men swept seven out of eight possible firsts.

Captain Bus Curwen steamed through a 2:07.5 200-yard free-style to lead the Yardlings to victory. Robinson and German copped the 50 and 100 respectively, while Houston, Drucker, and McCutcheon annexed their usual firsts in the breastroke, backstroke, and dive.