QUINTET OVERSOME BY BULLDOGS, 55-52

LUTZ STARS IN FINALE

By John C. Robbins

The varsity basketball team had run up a long list of games lost by one or two points in the last minute of play, but Saturday night's encounter, which the Elis won 55 to 52 in as overtime, was the toughest one of all to lose.

The Feslermen, conceded little chance to win in the pro-game calculations and already, defeated once by the Yale quintet, played their opponents off their feet and stubbornly held a lead almost from the beginning of the game right up until the last minute of regular play.

Simpson, Lutz Effective

Franny Simpson and Charley Lutz kept the Crimson out in front, breaking through the vaunted Yale none defense time and again and breaking up the attack of the taller Eli guards. Twice the margin by which the home team led was eight points, and to the capacity crowd it appeared that the impossible was about to happen.

But the gods had decreed otherwise. The Crimson was unable to hold its lead and Bert Ingley and Johnny Cobb, who scored 29 points between them kept their team in the game.

The end of the contest will go down in Eli history without a doubt as a typical example of the do-or-die Yayul spirit. It was Cobb, the short blond Eli forward, who pulled a Frank Meriwell stunt with five seconds to go, sinking the tying points with a one handed shot which traveled almost half the length of the floor.

No Overtime Attack

Harvard had another chance in the five minute overtime, but the team was too tired to withstand the Eli attack. Cobb, who will captain the Yale quintet next winter, scored five of the seven overtime points which his team made, while Rothschild and Romano were giving the Crimson only four points.

It was the last game for Captain Charley Lutz, and he turned in one of the greatest performances of his three year career. Closely guarded though he was as the greatest Crimson threat, he scored 11 points besides giving a sparkling display of floor play.

The game started out to be a seesaw affair, and up till 16 to 16 neither team could get a lead. The Ed Buckley and Sam White sank foul shots, Bud Finegan dropped a goal from under the basket, and Charley Lutz dribbled through the Yale defense to score, and Harvard was out in front by six points. A moment latter Buckley and Franny Simpson scored again and the margin went up to eight. The score at the half kept this lead intact, 28 to 20.

Yale came out after the half determined to close the gap, and tied the score at 35 all, but Finegan, Buckley, Lutz, and Simpson combined to give the Crimson another eight point lead, 43 to 35.

From then until the end of the game it was only a question of whether Harvard could hold their margin. The answer came with Cobb's last minute shot and the overtime disaster