Petitions Circulated for Peace Demonstration Here Thursday

QUILL TO SPEAK

Calling for a mobilization of undergraduates to express their determination not to fight in the European war, a group of seven undergraduates last night began circulating a petition for a mass peace rally to be held here at 11 o'clock Thursday morning.

The petition pledges its signers to support the rally, "not to fight in this war, to act for peace today and to block any tendency to draw the United States into participation." Two hundred copies of the petition will be circulated during the next few days among the Faculty as well as students.

Seven Original Signers

Original signers of the petition and organizers of the drive for student support are as follows: Langdon P. Gilkey '40, ex-president of P. B. H; Alan Gottlieb '41, president of the Harvard Student Union; Enno Hobbing '40, ex-president of the Guardian; Eric Johnson '41, president of the Harvard Pacifist Association; Paul Olum '40, first marshal of Phi Beta Kappa; Lawrence Sperber, national vice-president of the American Law Students Association; and G. Robert Stange '41, vice-president of the H. S. U.

They all signed the petition as individuals rather than as representatives of the organizations to which they belong.

Quill to Speak

Along with several students and Faculty members, Michael Quill, prominent C. I. O. leader and president of the Transport Workers Union, is slated to address the rally, which will probably be held outdoors. Quill was already scheduled to speak at an H. S. U. peace demonstration which was merged with the all-college rally planned for Thursday.

Thet petition which calls for the rally reads: "Feeling that we have a responsibility to the people of America and to ourselves to help in every way to keep this country out of the European War, we, the undersigned students of Harvard University, will support a peace demonstration on the Harvard Campus.

"We oppose: all aid to belligerents, armaments at the expense of social welfare, milltarization of youth, and any suppression of democratic civil liberties."