POWERS CHOSEN LEADER OF '40 SWIMMING TEAM

Relay and 100 Yard Man, Athlete of Long Standing, Succeeds Eric Cutler; Graff New Manager

Francis C. Powers '41 of Kirkland House and New York City was elected swimming captain last night at the squad's annual banquet in the Commander Hotel, succeeding Eric Cutler '40 of Needham. Powers prepared for Harvard at Lawrenceville School where he competed in swimming and golf.

He won Freshman numerals in swimming and lacrosse and won a major H in both his Sophomore and Junior years on the Varsity swimming team. As a Sophomore, he was a member of a winning 400-yard relay team against Yale, and this year took a third in the 100-yard free style against the Elis.

Relay Member

In addition, he was a member of this year's relay team which finished third in both the Intercollegiates and the A. A.U. meet, a performance which automatically wins a major H for all of the quartet. Pewers is 20 years of age, weighs 150 pounds, and is five feet ten in height.

Robert D. Graff '41 of Dunster House and Scarsdale, N. Y. succeeds J. Norman Ball '40 of Lowell House and Philadelphia as manager. Graff is a product of Deerfield Academy.