CREW TO MEET CORNELL

Row With Ithacans, Syracuse Will Decide Eastern Title

By Paul C. Sheeline

Harvard's Varsity and Junior Varsity crews reached Ithaca late yesterday evening and will spend until race-time tomorrow in preparation for their contests against Cornell and Syracuse on Cayuga Inlet. This regatta promises to be the toughest and the closest of the Crimson's rowing season.

The Crimson oarsmen will attempt to gain revenge for the defeat handed them by the Ithacans last year, when the chief vent of the Spring Day regatta on Cayuga was rowed in a miner hurricane, and many considered the final outcome not a just one although Cornell undoubtedly had a fine crew.

For Eastern Supremacy

The race on Saturday will be for the unofficial championship of the East, since both Harvard and Cornell varsity boats are the only prominent college crews in this region which are still undefeated. Syracuse has not shown up too well this season, but is still considered a threat to both the other eights and may well come in on a long-shot win.

Cornell has the tallest and heaviest crew of the three. The boat's average is around 184 pounds, considerably more than that of its opponents, and most of the oarsmen are 6 foot 3 inch giants. So Harvard will have to row its hardest to overcome this powerful eight; furthermore, the Crimson is at a psychological disadvantage in that it is facing a group of men determined to show that last year's win was no fluke due to the weather, but a definite proof of rowing superiority.

The consensus of coaches at Newell Boathouse seems to be that although Harvard should win, nevertheless both opposing eights have shown enough strength and smoothness to finish first. Cornell only beat Navy and Yale by scant decklengths, but comparative times and relative distances are not reliable indicators.

Syracuse did poorly at Derby Day last Saturday, when it finished third behind M.I.T. and Yale. Perhaps the Orange sweepswingers were overconfident after their excellent showing in Cambridge by beating Tech when they had had so little practice.

The Jayvee event is also unpredictable, especially since the Crimson's initial test against Syracuse earlier in the season only narrowly resulted in a victory. Cornell's second boat has been twice beaten, but by Navy, and Yale, which have very strong Jayvee eights