CULTER EXPLAINS NEW PLANS FOR ALUMNI ASSOCIATION

Notable 100th Anniversary to Be Held this Afternoon

Notable innovations will mark the 100th Anniversary meeting of the Harvard Alumni Association this afternoon it was announced today by Dr. Elliott C. Culter '09, professor of Surgery and Surgeon-in-Chief of the Poter Bent Bringham Hospital, President of the Alumni Association.

The first award of a newly established Harvard Alumni Association Medal, which in to be given annually to an alumnus "for service to Harvard," will be a feature of the program. One medal will be given each year, and alumni in Harvard's employ will not be eligible to receive the honor.

Announce Special Gift

A special Centennial gift by the alumni to the University will be announced at the meeting.

In another change from the accustomed program, retiring Harvard professors who are to become emeriti next September will sit among the dignitaries and receive formal thanks for their services to the University.

Also for the first time, the new graduates will be inducted into the Alumni Association as part of the Association meeting. President Conant will recommend as candidates for admission all those who have received degrees at the morning graduation exercises; as President of the Alumni Association, Dr. Cutler will formally accept the new graduates as members.

Parade Procedure

As for many years past, the alumni will parade to the afternoon meeting in Sever Quadrangle, in order of seniority, passing in review before the Commencement, dignitaries gathered on the steps of the Widener Library. Dr. Cutler will preside at the meeting, which will include greetings by Governor Leverett Saltonstall '14, a report to the alumni on the Harvard year by President Conant, addresses by two of the day's honorary degree recipients, announcement of alumni elections, and the singing of the "Star Spangled Banner," the 78th Psalm, and "Fair Harvard." The exercises will be broadest by the non-commercial shortwave station WRUL, of Boston, on 6.04 and 11.73 megacycles.

In the past century, since the founding of the Association, Harvard alumni have worked collectively to raise funds for the University, and took the lead in the move to free Harvard from political control and to set up a democratically controlled self-government.

Former Presidents Named

Carrying out its stated purposes to promote the welfare of Harvard and establish a "mutually beneficial relationship between Harvard and the alumni," the Association makes arrangements for the "happy observance of Commencement," officially represents the alumni body at ceremonials, assures the publication of an alumnus periodical, maintains headquarters in Cambridge for the service of Association members, and assumes numerous other responsibilities in connection with the University.

John Quincy Adams was first president of the Association, holding office from 1840 to 1846. Among his successors in the chair have been named Edward Everett, Oliver Wendell Holmes, James Russell Lowell, Charles Eliot, Norton, Charles William Eliot, Theodore Roosevelt, Henry L. Higginson, Henry Cabot Lodge, Thomas W. Lamont, and J. P. Morgan. Governor Saltonstall will assume office as President tomorrow and will preside at the Association meeting next spring.