HARVARD TOPOGRAPHY ALWAYS BAFFLES FRESHMEN

Harvard University extends from Shanghai, China, to the Union of South Africa, but the part that interests Freshmen is mainly centered in Cambridge. But even that comparatively small region is much harder to navigate than it first appears to the incoming Freshman.

Like Gaul, all Harvard is divided into three parts, of which the Yard, containing the Freshman dormitories and most of the college classrooms, is the oldest. North of the Yard are several graduate schools and the laboratories and museums. Stretching to the south, down to the river, are the seven houses of the upperclassmen, while across the Charles are the Business School; tennis courts, soccer field, and Soldiers Field.

Especially interesting to the incoming Freshmen are the following buildings which may be located on the map above:

The Yard

University Hall, in the center of the Yard, houses most of the administrative offices of the college, although some of them have been recently moved to Massachusetts Hall, the oldest building now standing in the College.

Widener Library, containing the largest collection of books in any university in the world, forms the southern side of the New Quadrangle. Beside it is Boylston Hall, which contains the library of the departments of History, Government, and Economics. Facing Widener is Memorial Church, newest building in the Yard, built in the World War.

Across Quincy Street from the Yard is the Harvard Union, center of Freshman activities, which contains the Dining Hall, common rooms, and the offices of the Harvard Athletic Association, where tickets to athletic games are sold. To the north is Warren House, headquarters for English A, while farther up on Quincy Street is the Fogg Art Museum, which has been said to have the finest collection of art of any American college.

Other buildings in the Yard of importance to Freshmen are Phillips Brooks House, Lehman Hall, President's House, Sever Hall, and Emerson Hall.

Northern Sector

To the north of the Yard are the towering Memorial Hall, dear to the hearts of Harvard men as the place where they register and take examinations, and the New Lecture Hall, which is about twenty years old.

The big white building which may be seen from the subway "cheesebox" to the north is the Littauer Center, of the School of Public Administration. Behind it are the Law School and the new Hemenway Gymnasium. On Oxford Street, beyond the New Lecture Hall, are the Mallinckrodt Chemical Laboratories, and beyond it is the University Museum, home of the famed glass flowers.

Southern Sector

Scattered among the seven upperclass men's houses are several buildings of importance to Yardlings. The indoor Athletic Building, between Holyoke and Dunster Streets, is the center of all indoor athletic activity. North of it is the Hygiene Building, with a large staff of doctors to care for minor ailments. On Linden Street are the University Squash Courts, while facing the Yard on Massachusetts Avenue are Little and Holyoke Halls.

Across the Charles River is the Business School. Here also, in the shadow of the Stadium, are the Dillon Field House, and the Carey and Briggs Cages. Nearby are tennis courts, soccer, football, baseball, and lacrosse fields, and the Newell Boat House.

Some of the buildings shown on this map which are not part of Harvard proper but of interest to Freshmen include the Cambridge Post Office, on Brattle Square, the Harvard Cooperative Society, on Harvard Square, numerous churches of various denominations, and Radcliffe, Harvard's sister college, whose dormitories lie off to the northwest, beyond the Law School, but whose main buildings are south of the Common.

On Mount Auburn Street, about half a mile up the Charles river from Harvard Square, is Stillman Infirmary. On Concord Avenue, near the Radcliffe dormitories, is the Astronomical Observatory, and near it, on Garden Street, is the Gray Herbarium. In Boston, off the map, are the Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, and Public Health.