Business School Expands Curriculum

Courses on Economy and Industry During National Defense Added

The Business School has announced that it will offer two new courses as a result of the National Defense Program. These courses are being added to the list of elective courses, and are open to high ranking second-year students who are citizens of the United States.

"Industrial Mobilization" has as its content material compiled by arrangement with the Army Industrial College. This course covers the industrial and procurement problems of preparing the United States for a wartime emergency. Industries basic to defense effort are surveyed. The organization, functions, and wartime powers of the government, its agencies and military establishments are discussed. Consideration is given to the problems of military and civilian procurement. This course also deals with labor problems and the facilities for communication and transportation, as well as the subjects of war trade and economic warfare.

Economy of War

"Economic Problems of National Defense" deals with the effect of defense activities on the economy of the country. It considers economic systems in peace and war, the character of economic warfare, the financing of a defense program and the distribution of its burden. Problems involved in wartime price control, and in the transition from a wartime to a peacetime economy are analyzed.

The School believes that many of its graduates will be better qualified to take industrial positions during the next few years if they are familiar with some of the problems involved in the program for national defense. In addition, these courses should provide extremely useful training if these men should be called into government service.