Law Faculty and Student Prodigies Battle To Deadlock in "Information" Please Frolic

Five hundred law students and their friends packed the Commander ballroom last night for the Law School's first "Information Please" program, and laughed heartily for an hour and one half at the antics of both faculty and students.

Composer, musician, and able master of ceremonies, Professor W. Barton Leach introduced the faculty panel as the AAA, Associated Alleged Adults. They were Dean James Landis, Erwin N. Griswold, Professor Mary H. McGuire, Professor Milton ("poppa") Katz and Judge Calvert Magruder. The ladies represented the wives of the faculty.

The "Quiz Kids" on the opposite side introduced themselves as William C. Hardee 1L, George Lehr 3L, Mrs. Charles Follansbee, Fred Suits 2L, and John Richardson 3L.

Professor Leach warmed up the experts by showing them the value, rare beauty and surprising number of prizes including a 500 pound dumbbell, a spangled hat, four encyclopedias, a happy hen and a raspberry. He reserved the right to withhold the prizes if the board failed to exhibit the necessary knowledge and wit.

He then fired a volley of nicknames which the experts were to identify, but they obviously did not know their lessons. Recalling Friday afternoon grammar school elocution contests the next event required the competitors to recite a given poem for thirty seconds. Falling this, they were at liberty to recite any poem, or in fact anything, as long as the audience was amused for the required thirty seconds.

Hardee stole the show for accuracy with his performance of "Jabberwocky" which was worthy of Demosthenes, while Professor Katz was stumped by the second verse of "America" Confronted with a recitation of poems in a foreign language, Dean Landis took a stab at French, but settled finally for German.

A short series of questions was followed by a contest in creative art. Dean Landis and John Richardson produced passable drawings of rabbits while Judge Megruder drew a portrait of his favorite movie actress which the audience immediately recognized as Greta Garbo. For the finale Professor Katz and William Hardee drew Dean Landis from life.

Mrs. McGuire and Judge Magruder received the five hundred pound dumbbell for the precision and clan of their performance of "Peas Porridge Hot"

The youngsters did a good job, but when their elders took the stage again and sand "Down by the Old Mill Stream" with gestures, they knew that their hopes of winning the song contest had evaporated.

The scorers retired and by popular demand, Professor Leach sang several of his original compositions, accompanying himself on the accordion. On the encore of "Non-negotiable Instruments' the audience joined in on the chorus, "non-negotiable You." "I want to Go to Yale, Mamma," and "Oh, Mr. Lewis (and Mr. Green)" kept the audience laughing. The faculty and students had both tallied a total of 68 7/8 points, but the victory of the evening went to Professor Leach. As he could not fairly award the bespangled crown to either side, he generously offered to take it home to his young son.

Dean Landis was awarded by popular acclaim the prize for effort; Professor Griswold received the strainer for being under the most strain for the evening. For knifing the interlocutor, William Hardee received the dagger and Mrs. Maguire got the happy wooden hen. The grand prizes, sets of the most popular encyclopedia, the World almanac, went to Judge Magruder, Professor Griswold, John Richardson, and Mrs. Follansbee