Student Union Scores Any Help For Britain

Bennett Nominated to Executive Committee at National Convention

Cooperation with outside peace groups for the continuation of peace and academic freedom was the keynote of the American Student Union convention held in New York during the holidays.

Seven hundred persons from approximately a hundred colleges, high schools, and community peace groups applauded the program decrying "any aid" to Britain but advocating active support of the Chinese people. On the domestic scene, the chief action was the constructions of a charter "outlinug student demands for academic freedom that must not be impaired."

In the annual national elections, David Bennett '42, president of the Harvard Student Union, was elected to the National Executive Committee and chosen Regional Vice-Chairman for the East. More than twenty Harvard students attended the convention, forming one of the largest and most active delegations.

Among the plans for the immediate future, the A.S.U. accepted the invitation of the American Youth Congress, with which it is affiliated, to join a pilgrimage to Washington on February 8 and 9. The gathering, similar to that of last year, will stress the sustaining of peace and academic freedom for students.