Harlow Emphasizes Aerial Defense In Brief Work-Out

Ayres, Summers Get Praise From Harlow

By A. EDWARD Rowse

With the dangerous clash with the Brown Bear only two days away, Coach Dick Harlow once again concentrated on pass defense and offense yesterday as he put the final touches on his squad in a short practice session.

Most of the time was spent on defense against Brown passing plays, with End Coach Earl Brown and Greely Summers doing the chucking. Harlow was very pleased by the Varsity performance on the defense and called it "very encouraging."

Don McNicol and Wayne Johnson accounted for most of the offensive aerial bombs and both pleased the coach with their results.

Summers, Ayres, Look Good

Harlow had words of praise for two second stringers who have been showing marked improvement in recent practices. Greely Summers, three-year veteran back, has been playing very good football and is likely to see a, lot of action Saturday.

Burgy Ayres, the other man to receive credit from the coach, has also been coming along fast, being another slow starter, and he too is likely to play a good deal against Brown.

Harlow announced yesterday that he will start the same team against Brown that has started every game since Dartmouth. At right end, however, it is Jack Morgan's turn to answer the opening whistle, replacing Don Forte, whose turn it was last week against Army.

The rest of the afternoon session was spent on signal drills, punt returning, and kicking under pressure. In the signal drill, four Team B men worked out for a short while on Team A.

Bull Barnes replaced Loren MacKinney, Ayres replaced Johnny Page, Summers alternated with Wilson at tailback, and Jim Grunig swapped with Dick Pfister.

As is the usual procedure, the Varsity squad will spend an hour this afternoon working out in the Stadium. Brown will not see the Stadium until tomorrow when it arrives by bus from Providence.