Lowell Smothered By Commuters In Upset Win; Deacons Victors

Murphy, Riley Score In Rambler Victory

By Joel M. Kane

Pulling some stunts out of Dick Harlow's bag of tricks, and adding a few of their own, Dudley's Ramblers amashed their way to an upset win yesterday afternoon over the highly-favored Lowell House Bellboys, 15 to 0.

Outplaying their opponents from whistle to whistle, the Commuters employed a bewildering array of offensive tactics and an unorthodox defense to pile up two touchdowns in the second half, and smacked down Lowell's ace back, Johnny Felmoth, in his own end-zone for another two points.

Dudley's first score was chalked up when end Murphy sneaked past the Lowell backfield to nab a pass in the corner of the end-zone. Folmeth's safety came a couple of minutes later, and Dudley wound up its scoring parade when Riley plowed through tackle for 20 yards and the final score, dragging half the Lowell line with him.

Deacons Edge Eliot

In a slow game that featured some strong defensive play by both sides, Kirkland nosed out an improved Eliot eleven, 7 to 0. With neither squad able to raise anything that resembled an offensive threat for 39 minutes of the game, Kirkland broke through in the last play of the first half when Chuck Griffith faded for back of his own line to heave it long pass that Willy Griffith nabbed in the end zone for the sole touchdown of the game.

Griffith place-kicked the extra point to end the scoring, and the rest of the game settled down to a punt-and-prayer affair. George Waters, big gun of the Elephant backfield, was effectively bottled up by the sturdy Deacon defense.

Adams Faces Winthrop

This afternoon, is a game that may throw the League standings into a three-way tie, Adams, now in first place by virtue of Lowell's defeat, is favored over a coming Winthrop outfit. Should the Goldcoasters lose, they will find themselves tied with Dudley and Lowell for first place in the standings.