SOCCER TEAM NEEDS WIN OVER BROWN TO HOLD LEAGUE SLOT

Wins Over Bears, Bulldogs Needed to Insure Second

By J. ROBERT Moskin

A week ago, Jim McDonald and his Varsity soccer men spoke in awe-filled whispers about a mighty squad of booters down at Providence which was laying waste the aspirations of all New England, Brown with one of the greatest soccer elevens in the history of the college was making huy.

But then the sun stopped shining down in Rhode Island when the mightiest of the mighty dropped a set-up breather to Tufts. None of the Crimson strategists have yet been able to decipher the 3 to 1 victory the Jumbos perpetrated; but whatever the explanation, to news set the local Varsity back on its phsychological feet once again. Brown is no longer an unbeatable terror but a squad of ordinary mortals capable of having an off day with the worst of them.

Team Suffers No Injuries

Coach McDonald has a perfectly fit army under his command, an aggregation which, he claims, is definitely on the upswing. Like the football teams of Dick Harlow, the booting elevens of Jim McDonald may be expected to make a better showing in November than in the earlier stages of the campaign. For like the Harlow system, McDonald's strategy emphasizes the perfected command of individual talents and closely-knit teamwork. It takes time to get those things down pat.

Two starting line-up shifts have been made for noon today on Soldiers Field from the eleven which trampled Tech last Tuesday. George Mallory, whose bad knee confined him to less than a quarter of action in the past two games, will answer the whistle for the Crimson at right half. Danny Poor, who was replaced by Eli Berman at left wing, will return to starting action, largely by virtue of his brilliant goal against M.I.T.

At the moment, the comparative scores of the Bears and Crimson show that both teams have won four, tied one, and lost two games. Incidently, when they not met on November 16 of last year and tied the Bruins on a wet muddy field 0 to 0, the Harvards also had a record of 4-1-2.

Both squads have met Clark, Army, and M.I.T. Brown whipped Clark 12-1, while the Crimsons could only register a 6-1 triumph. However, the Cadets held Brown to a 3-3 deadlock, while McDonald was able to eke out a 1-0 win over Army. The Tech scores prove little as Brown beat them 3-1; and Harvard did the same, 2-0. The Bears have also knocked out Yale 2-0.

Contest Significant

This game means more to Harvard than just another victory, for Harvard is now tied with Amherst in the New England league standings. Both colleges have two games ahead of them. Springfield has already finished its season and cinched the top honors, but these two are battling it out for second.

Springfield has only two league ties against it, subtracting two points from her record. Harvard has a tie with Springfield and a loss to Dartmouth, placing the Crimson one point behind the teachers. By beating both Brown and Yale she can retain this post and if Amherst suffers a tie, she can hold it alone.