STUDENTS FAVOR MORE AID TO ENGLAND

WAR HELD INEVITABLE

(The tabular results as well as the wording of the questions of the CRIMSON poll are shown in the box to the left.) John C. Robbins '42

Harvard College believes by the slimmest of slim majorities that the United States should not go to war in any case, but only one-sixth of the undergraduates are of the opinion that the country can avoid military involvement in Europe.

These are the findings of the CRIMSON'S poll, taken yesterday, which reached two-thirds of the students in the College and gathered together their opinions on the question of U.S. foreign policy.

Most Want increased Aid

An overwhelming majority of the students polled favor increased aid to Great Britain, with less than 20 per cent falling in the two extreme classes, little or no aid to England and immediate declaration of war on Germany. The most popular single view was that of "all aid necessary in order to defeat Hitler, recognizing a possible necessity of military intervention."

Considering both Choices (1) and (2), however, as being in favour of avoiding military intervention, and comparing the sum of their totals to the sum of Choices (3) and (4), it would appear that the anti-war group holds a 51-49% lead over the war group.

Freshmen Favor War

With the exception of Winthrop, the Houses register a strong majority for (1) plus (2) over (3) plus (4). In Winthrop, there was a 55-55 split. A strong Freshman majority in the last two choices brought the war-if-necessary group up to its final position of 49% of the College.

On the second question five-eighths of the students polled committed themselves to the opinion that the United States was headed for war in Europe. This would show that a good many of those who voted for limited or no aid fear that their hopes are vain. A few, although they advocated war, either immediately or when necessary, indicated that they believed that the country would not become involved.

More than twice as many students said that they would be in favor of taking action in regard to Britain's Far Eastern bases. Curiously enough, only one-eighth declined to venture an opinion. A fifth refused to guess on the question of possible involvement.

From a geographical point of view, the results were in accordance with those expressed in the Gallup poll. New England, the Middle Atlantic states, the South, and the Far West have results which correlate to a great extent. The Eastern Central states and the Western Central states also are close to each other in sympathy with a less warlike attitude than their neighbors.

The results of the first question according to Houses follow:

House  (1)  (2)  (3)  (4)Adams  41  68  83  6Dudley  22  57  47  1Dunster  32  61  74  6Eliot  30  65  82  5Kirkland  30  65  70  2Leverett  26  64  70  9Lowell  37  113  101  15Winthrop  20  35  51  4Union  67  209  309  56Misc.  4  25  40  1Totals  309  762  927  105Results by geographical sections follow:North East  82  229  301  27Mid Atlantic  84  231  304  32East Central  49  109  111  27West Central  28  50  51  3South  15  37  59  7Far West  14  34  51  

Most Want increased Aid

Freshmen Favor War