Crimson Swimmers Sink Springfield, 47-28; Hockey Team Scores 5-2 Win Over Cadets

CAPTAIN POWERS PACES NATATORS

By D. DONALD Peddle

Harvard's varsity mermen were forced to take their customary back seat in the medley and the 50 but had too much all-around strength for Springfield and won, 47 to 28 in the Holyoke Street Pool last night.

Captain Frannie Powers led the Ulenmen with two firsts and a second, winning the 220 and 100 taking a second in the 440. In the quarter, teammate Bus Curwen stopped his bid for a triple, but Harvard put the meet on ice in that event with the one-two finish.

Backstroke Sweep

The Gymnasts won the medley handily with their strong trio of Shea, Pincombe and Antilla. Pincombe returned to take top honors in the 200 yard breastroke, but Bill Druker and Art Bosworth swept the backstroke, Shea having to content himself with a third. Shaw McCutcheon had things pretty much his own way in the dive with a 106.1 point total, and Syke and Pinderhuges of Springfield took second and third.

Best times of the evening went to Powers with a 54 flat effort in the century and to Springfield's Art Beck with a 24.5 triumph in the 50.

Harvard was sporting a 40 to 28 lead going into the final relay, and a make shift Crimson quartet nipped the Gymnast first stringers in a close race. Quarter-miler Tiny Gorman led off for Harvard and picked up a small lead against Pincombe; Bill Jay added to the margain against Hatch; Dick Harris lost ground to Beck; and Tom Shrewsbury preserved the narrow lead he had inherited right to the finish.

The summary:

300-yard medley: Won by Springfield (Shea, Pincombe, Antilla). Time--3: 06.1

220-yard free-style: Won by Powers (H); second, Bosworth (H); third, Milligan (S). Time--2:19

50-yard free-style: Won by Beck (S); second, Lotz (S); third, McNitt (H). Time--24.5

Low board dive: Won by McCutcheon (H); second, Syke (S); third, Pinderhughes (S). Point total--106.1.

100-yard free-style: Won by Powers (H); second, Lotz (S); third, Stowell (H). Time--54

150-yard backstroke: Won by Drucker (H); second, Bosworth (H); third, Shea (S). Time--1:42.7

200-yard breaststroke: Won by Pincombe (S); second, White (H); third, Kraus (H). Time--2:35

440-yard free-style: Won by Curwen (H); second, Powers (H); third, Milligan (S). Time--5:08.3

400-yard relay: Won by Harvard (Gorman, Jay, Harris, Shrewsbury). Time--3:44.9