TEACHERS PRAISE PROFESSOR HANUS

Founder of Association Honored At Fiftieth Anniversary Meeting

At its fiftieth anniversary meeting at the Hotel Commander, Saturday, the Harvard Teachers Association heaped praises on Professor Paul H. Hanus for his founding of the organization and his contributions to the advancement of teaching in the past half-century.

Professor Hanus, now 86, was unable, through illness, to be present, but he was represented by his wife and daughter, and his message to the gathering of 150 was read by Professor Charles Swain Thomas '97, Secretary-Treasurer of the Association.

Of Professor Hanus, Professor William E. Hocking '01 said, "he was truly an artist of education; his teaching had clarity, brevity, and salt." Both William E. Downey, State Commissioner of Education, and Lincoln Filene, head of the Boston department store, praised Professor Hanus and the Graduate School of Education for their work in vocational guidance.

Andre Morize, professor of French Literature and one of the two principal speakers, remarked that, to put the preparedness program on a working basis, it must be entrusted to "the technicians who know, not the politicians who talk."

Totalitarianism was seen in this country by Dr. Dirk H. Vain Der Stucken of Andover Academy who believed that we were giving "those inside" powers which might become dictatorial.

At the morning session of the meeting, in Sanders Theatre, which was the scene of a television demonstration, Dr. Charles H. Judd of the National Youth Administration advocated useful labor as a part of high school education and predicted that future schools would feature "self-education" centered around a "core of social sciences."