Teacher's Union Report Opposes University's Plan to Cut Budget

Group Favors Plan To Proportion Slash

A report suggesting that the proposed ten percent cut in the University's budget for next year be absorbed by means of a graduated reduction in teachers' salaries was circulated by the Teacher's Union among the Faculty yesterday.

This proposal is contrary to the present intention of the University, which plans to allow for the reduction by hiring fewer teaching fellows and assistants next year without reducing the salaries of permanent officers.

The University announced on February 18 that next year's budget must be lowered to compensate for a decrease in income due to falling interest rates and an expected decrease in student enrollment through conscription.

Danger to Tutorial Threatens

The Teacher's Union points out in its report that the course the University intends to pursue means a drastic slash in the teaching facilities available to the student body. Stating that "many teaching follows and assistants would have to be dismissed" the report asserts that "such a procedure would evidently threaten the whole tutorial system."

The Union further feels that the matter should come up for a general discussion as it is a matter of policy affecting the entire college and not a matter of administrative policy.

The report commented that there were several alternatives to cutting the budget, such as the use of additional capital, which should be investigated.