N. Y. A. ON THE WAY

Reports, articles, government circulars and countless incidental loud-voiced opinions have done their job and done it well. With a bow to all supporters of the plan, the Corporation has at last consented to ask the National Youth Administration for funds for a work program at Harvard. Washington has yet to give its final nod of approval, but there is little room for doubting that it will. Meanwhile, many persons continue to entertain misconceptions of what the program will be and what it will mean to self-supporting students.

In no way will N.Y.A. money replace one penny of the million dollars Harvard already gives its students in scholarships, loans and jobs. There are between fifty and one hundred men leaving Cambridge annually for financial reasons despite the University's generosity. The probable eighty thousand dollars of Federal manna will be used to keep as many of these men as possible at their books for the regular four year orgy.

Men who are at present receiving help in one form or another will not be left out. The part played by N.Y.A. finances will be that of trying to finish off the student-aid program of the T.S.E. and other benign agencies where they cannot help but fall short. Distributed wholly at the discretion of the University and with no chance of being cut off at its Washington source by party politics or anything else, Harvard's N.Y.A. money will serve a worthy cause. After five years of doubtful darkness, the Corporation has snatched at a glimmer of light for the problem of needy scholars.