NINE FIRSTS TAKE MEET FOR VARSITY TRACKMEN

Season Record is Set By Sprinter Pirnie

By J. ROBERT Moskin

Jaskko Mikkola's prayer became reality Saturday afternoon on a chilly, windy Soldiers Field when his Varsity tracksters turned the ladies on Holy Cross' 1940 victory. Yet Jaakko was not satisfied and suggested after the meet, "We're going to beat Radcliffe next week."

Harvard took nine firsts for an un-official score of 97 1/2 while the Crusaders amassed eight for 68 1/2. The third participant in the triangular encounter was Northeastern, which trailed with 15 points. Last year the Holy Cross team nosed out the Crimson by an inverted nine to eight total of firsts. The Freshman squad was tamed by the Huskies, 57 to 56, while Holy Cross made 22.

Sprinter Doug Pirnie was again Harvard's chief tape-breaker, winning the 220 in 22 seconds flat, his best time of the season; tieing Crusader Charlie Gillis in the century sprint with a 10.1 performance; and anchoring a victorious sprint relay which covered the 440-yards in 43.2. To top off this sparkling job, Pirnie copped a second in the broad jump with a leap less than three inches short of Dave Ives' winning 21 feet 9 3/8 inches. Ives reciprocated by doing the hundred in 10.2 and racing number two in the sprint relay.

Donahue Wins Two

Captain Don Donahue was the only other Mikkolaman to take a running first. Despite the cold, damp track, Donahue won both hurdle races in good time: the 120-yard highs in 15.1 seconds and the 220 lows in 24.5. Don MacKinnon seconded both, equalling Donahue's high time in his heat attempt.

Biggest news for the intercollegiate track world was Fran Maloney's amazing burst of speed with upset indoor I. C. 4A. champ Mike Prohodsky with a triumphant 7:06.7 clocking in the mile and a half distance. Crusader Maloney holds the N. E. A. A. U. two-mile title. Bob Kent with a fourth was Harvard's best against this competition.

Chief stronghold of the Crimson was the field events where five of seven firsts tell to Harvard. Tom Lacey's 183 feet 5 inch javelin toss was perhaps the most outstanding effort considering the weather conditions.

The victorious hosts swept all four pole places and the first three hammer throws. Dick Pflster won the discus with a 129 feet 1 inch whirl, and took third in the shot with a put less than four inches behind John Grigas of Holy Cross.