HOPES IN HEPTAGONAL RACES FOUR VETERANS CARRY TRACK

Yardling Team to Tackle Strong Foe at New Haven

By J. ROBERT Moskin

On top of upsetting Dartmouth's heavily favored track squad, a twenty-seven man Varsity travels to Princeton this afternoon to compete in the seventh annual Heptagonals in Palmer Stadium tomorrow. Last year's Senior-studded aggregation could get no better than a fifth against the East's best college teams, so therefore Jaakko Mikkola is extremely pessimistic over the chances of his current Sophomere squad.

Saturday afternoon will also find the Freshmen out of town. Bill Palson's Yardlings venture to New Haven to encounter an Eli battalion which Ray Shepard, Andover's track coach, termed the best Freshman team he has ever seen. The jumps, longer distances, hammer and javelin throws appear to be the only events the Crimsons have a chance to win. Comparative scores prove Shepard's theory since the Yale men swamped Andover 86-40 while Harvard could only trail the prep school in last week's triangular tilt.

Penn, placing second in last year's Heps, is generally favored to upset the then victorious Yale tomorrow. Although the Quakers have a very spotty record to date eking out a two-point win over Princeton in a quadrangular meet, whipping Cornell, and dropping their Yale meet 73-62, Penn has a formidable list of outstanding first place winners. But comparative scores do little but confuse the conscientious dopester as Penn beat Princeton this year, Princeton licked Yale, and Yale turned around and shellacked Penn.

As the competing teams line up, Penn, Yale, and Harvard are top favorites both on their past performances and individual entrants. The Tigers, with a scattering of stars, and Cornell's strong distance squad are capable of upsetting the pre-contest leaders, but Dartmouth and Columbia are pretty well out of the running.

Harvard's main bid for fame comes on the assumption that in a heptagonal meet, it is necessarily the most consistent luminaries upon whom victory depends. The Crimson has a novice Sophomore group of runners sparked by a number of capable veterans and several exceptionally talented youngsters. With seven teams battling, only the standouts will be in the running. It will be a battle of track glants.

Four men told Harvard's fate in their ability; for without large point contributions from Doug, Pirnie, Don Donahue, Dick Pfister, and Roger Schafer the Cambridge goose is cooked. These are experienced tracksters and if they can present Harvard with a heavy set of tallies such less steady men as Bob Houghton, Mike Ford, and Rolla Campbell may add enough markers to give the Crimson a respectable place in the competition.