JUNIOR, FACULTY MEMBER ABOARD STRICKEN LINER

Michael Clark '42, Frederick Hoeing With 120 Americans in S.S. Zamzam Sinking

Michael A. Clark '42 and Frederick W. Hoeing, former History 1 instructor here, were among the 201 passengers and 125 crew on board the S.S Zamzam which sank yesterday, in the South Atlantic enroute to Capetown.

At 4 o'clock this morning press services had no details about the sinking. The United States Consult in Alexandria stated that he had heard a report of the sinking but had no information about the fate of the ship or its passengers.

Of the 201 passengers on board the 8295 ton steamer, 130 were Protestant missionaries and members of the Ambulance Corps.

The ship, which sailed from New March 27, was reported to have gone down somewhere between Pernambuco and Capetown off the South African coast.

The son of Freda Kirchway, the editor of the Nation, Clark left college last February to go with the British American Ambulance Corps to serve with the Free French forces of General do Gaulla in Africa. Hosting also was a member of the Ambulance Corps, which was to disembark at Capetown and proceed by other to French territory.

Clark prepared extensively for his service in French Africa, studying first aid, radio work, mechanics, and military drill before he sailed from New York. Although he signed up for only six months of service beginning from the day of arrival in Africa. Clark had expected to remain in duty throughout the remainder of the war.

He had travelled extensively in Europe and while in Palestine in 1938 he saw the British crush the Arab revoke "in efficient manner." He attended school in France before coming to Harvard, where he concentrated in French literature. He was a member of Eliot House.

Also planning to remain is North Africa for the duration. Hosing received his M.A. degree here in 1981 after attending the College of William and Mary. He served in 1968 and 1996 as History I instructor.