Crimson Pass Defense Draws Harlow's Praise

After coasting through a light workout yesterday afternoon, the Crimson gridmen face a hard scrimmage at 9:30 o'clock this morning in which game conditions will prevail. After the scrimmage there will be a general lay-off over the weekend until Monday when a new policy of a scrimmage every other day will be inaugurated.

At yesterday's practice George Heiden was again at the fullback post, while Sophomore Lloyd "Swede" Anderson, a member of last year's Yardling football team, remained at center. Only newcomer to the Varsity "Red" team was Doug Pirnie, star sprinter on last year's spring and winter track teams. He is still without a red jersey, however.

Highlighting yesterday's workout was the squad's pass defense, which was good enough to draw praise from Coach Dick Harlow.

Perhaps the most serious setback which the team is still recuperating from is the loss of halfback Charlie Spreyer who was "caught in the draft." There are other problems, however Hank Vander Eb, expert place kicker, is married, and his status is doubtful, while Juniors Mort Waldstein and Stan Durwood, both of whom had been counted on heavily, are not playing since they are both on probation.

All this has made it necessary for maestro Harlow to shift Captain Frannie Lee to tailback, leaving the wingback post open to Gordy Lyle and Greely Summers. Summers saw action again yesterday, a slight injury having kept him on the sidelines for a few days previous.