The Calorite Dollar

Practically universal joy greeted the recent lowering of board rates in the College, The only spectre on the horizon now is the rising cost of food; an overhauling of the rates during the winter is problem worth consideration. But due for action in the Houses any day now are two more immediate questions; the possibility of unlimited inter-House meals and the advisability of students working in House kitchens.

Previously upperclassmen have been confined to three meals a week outside of their House. The new system, by eliminating a huge bookkeeping overhead, removes one of the principal objections to eating around. Fears have been expressed, however, that without the present minimum, certain Houses would be overcrowded. Well, that depends on whether any House has a special attraction which would upset the law of averages. To our unjaundiced eye it doesn't appear that there is any such bias. It is greatly to be hoped that House masters and House committees will take the lid off, temporarily and experimentally at least.

Student waiting was voted down in an all-House poll last spring. But student employment in the kitchens has no drawback of social stigma, and there seems to be no logical reason why it would not be better for a House member to be earning board in his own House than in a hash-joint on the Square. This is particularly true since Houses are going to have trouble getting kitchen help this year, anyhow.

If the above proposals are ever going to be acted upon now is the proper time, when new schemes are being tried out. Both of them seem to jibe with the aime of giving the student full value in food and atmosphere for his meal dollar.