Speak Up, Speak Up

Last night the Student Council acted on the most significant issue since the war began. Adopting unanimously and without change the report of its Committee on Curriculum and Tenure, the Council submitted to the Faculty two possible solutions to the delicate and serious problem of defective arrangement of the accelerated academic year. The report, a non-partisan examination of the two most practicable solutions, represents the divided viewpoint of an evenly divided Committee. Both sets of arguments are presented fully and impartially in a thorough survey of the whole question.

Urging the institution of a symmetrical, three term, year, the more radical departure from tradition stresses the inconsistencies of an accelerated curriculum with a cramped summer session. With science courses demanding whole days rather than spare hours in necessary lab exercises, and with reading requirements reduced, the present six week semester insures a minimum of learning as well as of time. Telescoping of examination periods into the last few days of course work leaves the unfortunate accelerator with little chance to digest the material hurriedly crammed down his throat. Advantages in planning, in administration, and in organization are said to be attributed of the three-term year.

Modification of the existing Summer School is the more conservative suggestion. Supporters argue that courses in the three term year must be staggered to allow for faculty vacations, and that incoming Freshmen would never have a complete course curriculum from which to choose. They uphold the adequacy of the present academic year, urging only the substitution of seven week semesters for six week ones.

The council's impartial report, dictated as it was by a close vote, nevertheless leaves the undergraduate voiceless in a question of grave concern to the value of their educations. The faculty now holds the right and duty of making the eventual decisions, but the airing by students of their needs and desires is imperative. "Three-term" versus "Summer Session" must be debated and decisions formulated. An academic year which neglects the student outlook is foredoomed to failure.