Bolles' Crews Sweep Three Enemy Eights

Varsity, '46 and 150s Take First 3 Places

By D. ALDRICH Brown

Led all the way down the Basin by a Curwen-stroked powerhouse shell which never had to raise the beat above 28, the Crimson forces swept the Charles in the first intercollegiate full regatta yesterday afternoon with the Freshmen and Fifties from Newell finishing close on the stern of the Varsity.

Only a second and a half ahead of BU and ten seconds behind the Fifties, Tech managed to hold a lead picked up at the Massachusetts Avenue bridge over the Terriers and crossed the line in fourth place. The smooth-water Redskins, badly troubled by big waves whipped up by a three quarter tail wind brought up the rear.

Race Never In Doubt

Even before the bridge was reached there was little doubt as to the outcome. After an early spurt the Fifties gave way to a smooth-stroking Freshman boat which finished five seconds behind the Varsity. A B.U. shell which challenged the Tech men all the way provided the thrills for the scanty crowd that spotted the banks and bridges.

More than pleased with the showing made by his boys, Tom Bolles was highly optimistic about rowing prospects,--"if there wasn't a war on. We've plenty of good material and things would look very bright if we could be sure how many of the men will be in college this spring," he said.

A look at the crew pulling Varsity sweeps shows clearly enough what Tom means. Stroked by Bus Curwen, who has yet to lose a race, and made up of seven other men who have all seen plenty of water go by the riggers it is a typical Crimson shell. Seated in five and two seats are Scofield Andrews and John Richardson, both veterans of last spring's Varsity racing. Stu Clark, Gus Merwin and Bob Stone, of last year's strong Freshman crew, at the six, four and three slots, and Dave Noyes and Frank Snyder, Jayvee men, at seven and two fill out the boat.