Dartmouth Outruns Crimson Cross Country Team 24-34

Phinney and Palson Pace Mikkola Squad

A favored Dartmouth cross country team outclassed Captain Fred Phinney's harriers 24 to 34 at Hanover yesterday. Don Burnham, who whipped Leslie MacMitchell last spring, and Sophomore John Watkins tied for first place for Dartmouth, while Phinney took third for the Crimson.

Run over a tough, hilly four and a half mile course, the race began well for Harvard with Bill Palson leading for the first three-quarters of a mile. At that point Burnham took the lead and never relinquished it. Watkins came up on the hills in the middle of the course to pass Palson and Phinney.

Coach Jaakko Mikkola was particularly pleased with the performance of Tom Coggeshall, who finished fifth, since he had missed a week's practice because of illness, and of Don McCaul, who took tenth place and showed a marked improvement from the Rhode Island meet.

The decisive factor in Dartmouth's victory came after Chuck Richardson had taken sixth place for the Green when three Hanover harriers, Dick Whiting, Stan Waterman, and Captain Bob Williams, scored a three-way tie for seventh place.

The Mikkolamen have a hard week's practice ahead of them to prepare for the meet with an experienced Yale aggregation next weekend.

The Jayvees ran a steady and consistent race to outscore Tufts and M. I. T. at Tufts yesterday afternoon. Tech took the first two places, but Hyde finished third, Archie Lyon fourth, and Bunks Burditt seventh to sew up the victory for the Crimson.