HARLOW COMPARED TO ROCKNE BY COL. HAYES

Crocker Honored by Varsity Club Diners

Calling Knute Rockne and Dick Harlow the two greatest coaches he has ever seen, Colonel Philip Hayes, Chief of Staff of the First Service Command and former Director of Athletics at West Point, drew a close analogy between football and the war at the annual Varsity Club dinner last night.

According to Hayes, the nine major principles of warfare are synonomous with the major rules of football, and for that reason training in football is of definite value in a military education.

Tribute to Crocker

Hayes named the principles as those of: never losing sight of the objective, assuming the offensive whenever possible, moving in a mass, moving quickly and without confusion, making one's plan simple and easily understandable, cooperation, the will to win, and security.

The usual festivities that have accompanied the dinner in past years were sombred to a great extent by the war. Early in the evening all Club members and guests rose for a minute of silence in memory of Frederick G. Crocker '34, star end on the Crimson's 1939 football team, who was killed in action last August while serving with the Navy in the Pacific.

Other speakers included Richard Floyd, president of the Club, toastmaster William N. Rand '04, Coach Dick Harlow and James Baxter, formerly Master of Adams House and now president of Williams.

In analyzing the team's chances against Army today, Harlow referred to a letter written by Lothrop Withington '11 which was recently printed in Bill Cunningham's column. In that letter Withington wrote, "Harvard did not feel it could play two strong teams like Princeton and Dartmouth on consecutive Saturdays." "Remember that sentence when we play Army tomorrow afternoon, gentlemen," Harlow said.

Baxter, who recently returned from Great Britain where he was working for Colonel Donovan's Office of Strategic Services, spoke on his impressions of "England in Wartime." According to the Williams President, "England is today making the maximum effort. There is very little slack left and the British need us. They have a great respect for the quality and leadership of American officers and men."