Grid Captain Picked Today

29, Including Lyle, Win Varsity Letters

Harvard's 1943 football captain, a purely nominal position, since most of the men eligible for the honor will be out of College long before another season rolls around, will be elected this afternoon at a meeting of the 29 lettermen in Dillon Field House at 2 o'clock.

Technically, all the H holders of the classes of 1944 and '45 are eligible for the captaincy, but if the procedure follows tradition, one of the Juniors concerned will get the award.

The logical choice thus narrows down to linemen George Hibbard and Len Cummings, and backs Swede Anderson, Cleo O'Donnell Bill Wilson, Wayne Johnson, Henry Goethals, Steve Gifford and Tom Cowen. If the '43 captain turns out to be a Sophomore, as in the case of Bunks Burditt's election to head the basketball team this year, he will be one of six men: Charley Gudaitis, Jack Fisher Sid Smith, Bill Fisher, Don Richards, Dick Andersen, Pete Garland, and Paul Perkins. None of the three Freshmen letterholders can be conceded much chance; each, however, has a vote.

Lyle Will Vote

Although he did not play in the Yale game, Gordy Lyle was voted to be given a letter, and if he has returned from his New York home, where he is recuperating from his injury in the Michigan game, he will cast a ballot today.

There has been no recent trend in football captains: linemen and backs have split honors in recent years. End Don Forte was preceded by backs Franny Lee, Joe Gardella and Torby MacDonald as Crimson grid leader. In 1938 end Bobby Green shook hands with the officials before the game and made the decisions on penalties, responsibilities of every captain.