DRAKE NAMED CAPTAIN OF 1943 SOCCER TEAM

3rd Marshal Named By New Lettermen

E. Thayer Drake, of Chatman, New Jersey, and Winthrop House, was elected captain of the 1943 Varsity soccer team at a meeting of lettermen in Dillon Field House yesterday. Drake, inside forware on this year's eleven, received the post following two seasons on the first squad, and one as standout on the '40 Yardling aggregation.

Drake, tall and fast, led that Freshman team as Captain and center forward, but was shifted to the inside slot and has continued there for the past two years. During the past season he has played at least half of every game, and finished the campaign by going the complete, eighty-eight minute rout in the defeat at New Haven.

In his play on the forward line this year, Drake's consistency was the keynote of his excellence. The most accurate shot on the squad, he was used in all attempts to dent enemy twines via the penalty shot path. In the earlier games, the lineman kept close to Jack Calhoun, the eleven's leading scorer, but Calhoun later pulled away and finally led the Crimson tallying.

Recently elected third marshal of 1944, Drake will probably be unable to assume either of his honorary posts. Membership in the Enlisted Reserve Corps may cut short his collegiate career, as well as that of many of his mates on this year's squad.

In voicing the prevailing sentiments following election, Drake hoped that following the war soccer could assume its normal role as a leading fall sport. He added that at that time, the sport would be able to eliminate some of rulings which prevent free substitutions and thus make participation by large numbers prohibitive.