Underdog Eli Harriers Win Heps As Crimson is Second

Favored Green Team Makes Poor Showing

By Kenneth S. Lynn

Completely outdistancing opposition, the Yale cross country team upset all predictions to snatch the heptagonal championship Friday at Van Cortlandt Park in New York. Led by Leroy Schwartzkopf, the Yale team finished with a total of 40, 31 points ahead of Harvard, which placed second in the team standing with 71 points.

The Elis so completely dominated the competition that they placed three in the first four. Schwartzkopf ran the five mile course in easy fashion to win by 400 yards over his team mate, Bill Castle, with a time of 26 minutes 41.2 seconds.

Fastest Time

This is the fastest time that has ever beer recorded in the Heptagonal championship and is more than 42 seconds better than Don Burnham's winning time last year.

Captain Bill Bird of the Blue finished fourth and Charles Cleaver and Dave McClellan in 15th and 18th places also helped to nail down the victory of Yale.

Harold J. Saine of Army took third and was largely responsible for the Cadets nosing out of Cornell for third place. In conjunction with heptagonal, there was a dual meet between Army and Navy, which only entered heptagonal competition last year. The competition was won by Army, 21 to 34.

Palson Scores

Bill Palson of the Crimson ran a steady race to take seventh place and close behind him were Captain Fred Phinney and Tim Coggeshall, who finished ninth and tenth respectively. Don McCaul nosed out Frank Carolan of Princeton to finish 19th.

The complete collapse of heavily favored Dartmouth was the biggest surprise of the meet. Having virtually the same team which last year swept the heptagonal competition and took all three first places the Big Green was supposed to walk off easily with the team trophy and Don Burnham was touted as the one man who could stop Schwartzkopf. However, the defending champion could do not better than eighth and the team finished in fifth place. Captain Bob Williams the I. C. 4-A indoor 100-yard champion was even a greater disappointment than Burnham and ended up 29th.