TEACHERS ASK WAR SUPPORT

Advocating a preservation of the College's liberal education policy in way time, the Harvard Teacher's Union in its latest meeting, adopted the following resolution:

"Resolved: That the drafting of eighteen and nineteen year old men to defend out democratic heritage will drastically curtall higher education. This sacrifice for the defense of democratic education itself is obviously necessary and right.

"Two attitudes are possible, however, towards the situation created: educators can simply give up, on the assumption the their function and obligation are suspended for the duration; or they can determine to preserve everything that does not conflict with an unstinted was effort.

"Recognizing that the responsibility to educate is a responsibility to educate is a responsibility to democracy, the members of the Harvard Teachers' Union strongly advocate the following concrete policies:

"1. That the program of instruction for selectees sent to college for teachnical training by the Army and Navy include courses in reading and writing English and in such subjects as American History.

"2. That the University and Faculty at Harvard accept the responsibility of maintaining educational standards unimpaired at Radcliffe.

"3. That at Harvard course in the Arts and Sciences be maintained so that a liberal education will still be available to those who are rejected by the draft. Their number will be considerable, for its is estimated that one man out of every four will be rejected. Barred by disability from active war service, these men can make an important contribution to their generation, but unless a definite and responsible effort is made, they are in grave danger that only technical courses will be available to them.

"4. That as an emergency measure to preserve the Arts and Sciences curriculum, Harvard and Radcliffe courses be combined.

"5. That to preserve so far as possible the continuity of the teaching staff in accordance with the system of appointments and tenure established since the Report of the Committee of Eight, promotions be made this year as usual, even though in some cases these appointments cannot become effective until after the war."