SQUARE BOND SALES SPURT

Following a big spurt after December 7, sales of defense bonds in the Square are rapidly approaching the two million dollar mark. The largest month before December was August.

One bank has sold, by itself, over one million dollars' worth, with several people buying large numbers of bonds regularly. All reported a sell-out within two days after the Hawailan attack and all of them were forced to give receipts until further bonds could be printed.

Every bank said that there were remarkably few persons who grumbled at this shortage, most of them feeling that "it was great that they could be sold so fast." As one cashier said, they felt that it was "a solemn duty" to get the money to the government as fast as they could, bonds or no bonds.

One elderly man started to buy bonds some time ago, and keeps coming in regularly to buy bonds for his children. Altogether he has bought $15,000 worth, and keeps reminding the cashier that he "wishes he could buy twice as many," adding that he would "like to get a sock at Hitler myself."