Special Service Schools Replace Summer Camps

Mil Sci 4 Graduates Join Armed Forces Immediately

According to a recent announcement by the War Department all fourth year men in the R.O.T.C. who have already attended at least 85% of a six-week period of summer camps will become members of the active forces of the United States within 10 days after receiving their commissions. At present, the date set for issuing commissions is June 16.

Any men who will have completed all requirements for a commission except the summer camp, will report immediately to special service schools of the appropriate branches of the service for which they have prepared. All these new rulings are, of course, subject to change by the War Department.

Service Schools Continue

The procedure of attending special service schools will be continued hereafter by all who have not attended summer camps, until this special field training is reinstituted. Also affected by this ruling are graduates of the Junior Division, R.O.T.C., which are those units stationed at high schools. Selected graduates will also attend the special service schools and will receive a commission or a Certificate of Eligibility, if under 18.

Although previous to this ruling many men were allowed a deferment after having received their commission to finish projects, this will no longer be the case. Hereafter only medical students will be given a leave of absence to finish their course of study and will then join the medical service as lieutenants.

Harvard's R.O.T.C. has nine men in Mil Sci 4 who have not attended summer camp for one reason or another. These men will receive commissions in June and will then proceed immediately to a field artillery training camp for a short training period.