Harvard Liberal Union Poll Shows Winthrop Most War-Like, Leverett Most Average House

Great Majority in Favor of Complete Victory Over Axis

More facts from the Harvard Liberal Union's poll were released tonight, showing how the various Houses stand in relation to the War. Winthrop was shown to be the most war-like, with Leverett as the best example of the average House.

Eighty-three per cent of Winthrop House was convinced that we are right-fully in the war, and should do all we can to win it; 94 per cent voted in favor of fighting to a complete victory over the Axis. Leverett stood only slightly behind on both questions with votes of 82 and 92 per cent, respectively.

More definite than the Freshmen were upperclassmen on their stand with Russia; over 90 per cent of the upperclassmen in Winthrop, Leverett, and others voted for aid to Russia, with the Yardlings standing nearer 80 per cent.

With a much higher percentage of votes against our entering the war and refusal to help its prosecution, Leverett House remained perhaps the most average House in its wider range of opinions on the poll.

Harvard indifference was lacking to a great extent in the answers, with only a meagre one per cent taking no stand at all on the question of entering the war and prosecuting our war effort. The Freshmen were more united in their stand of disapproval of immediate peace at any price.

In answer to the question on serious restrictions of civil liberties during the war, a majority of undergraduates, with a plurality of over 40 per cent, held the opinion that restrictions would have a negligible or remediable effect in the long run.

These figures fitted logically, with the results of the poll on the question of all-out war effort which rated so high in yesterday's report. Many felt that a restriction would have harmful results, but only a few regarded the question as one that would be disasterous.

Surprisingly, the poll-sheets showed that only 37 per cent of the Freshmen and 41 per cent of the Upperclassmen were engaged in some war effort. The military and naval science courses, accounted for many of these.

Other branches of the war effort were being manned by undergraduates taking some sort of training, whether for Air Raid Warden or for the motor transport divisions, where convoy driving and messenger work is taught.

Many answer the call for blood donations, and a reasonable number of men are stationed in the control centers for the Air Raid control centers where reports are handled; some have volunteered as spotters reporting to the Interceptor Command