FERNER SURPRISES IN AMC SKI RACE

Bigelow's 7th Outstanding In Unusual Team Showing

By Bob Sturgis

Then Ferner placed second to no the last weekend, beating the number one intercollegiate downhill skier, Dartmouth's Bob Meservey, in one run and tying him for first in the eighth annual Appalachian Mountain Club race on the Wildeat Trail In Pinkham Notch Sunday.

Harvard's "A" team total time fell only eight-tenths of a second behind Dartmouth in the second series, giving it a secure second at the final count, but Sophomore Hank Bigelow, a jump and cross-country man racing for the "B" team, rivaled Ferner for the most surprising Crimson performance by ranking seventh in a field of sixty.

Trail Fast and Hard

Following an extremely fast track down the precipitous pitches of the Cal. Ferner was clocked at 2:23 and 2:24.8. Tom Winship made eleventh place. Dune Reid and Will Cochran clinched thirteenth and fourteenth. The others, Bill Apthorp, Rog Wilson, and Braley Cameron didn't finish in the first 16.

Bigelow led the "B" team to fifth position after the Dartmouth "B's" and Williams, and has consequently been promoted to the first line.

Ferner and Meservey added color in the occasion when they both out-schussed Toni Matt., U.S. downhill champion, in the first run, goading him into tying the trail record of 2:17 in the second.